- Olive oil
- Any mixture of roasting vegetables, including:
- Harder vegetables: Beetroot, Potato, Carrot
- Softer vegetables: Cauliflower, Sweet potato, Pumpkin, Onion, Parsnip, Capsicum, Zucchini, Beans, Eggplant, Brussel sprouts, Mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Oil a baking dish with a tablespoon of olive oil and place it in the oven to heat up.
- If you wish, microwave denser and larger vegetables such as beetroot, potatoes or carrots to save on cooking time. Place the denser vegetables in the oven tray and cook them for 30 minutes before adding other vegetables.
- Add in the softer vegetables such as cauliflower, pumpkin and sweet potato. Monitor cooking so that cauliflower doesn’t blacken on top.
- Alternative seasonings can be added in step 3 including paprika, cumin, dukkah or sesame seeds.
- Leftovers can be served cold or reheated, with a salad and creamy dressing (see healthier salad dressings)
Roast Vegetable Couscous
Cover 1 cup of wholemeal couscous with boiling water in a large heat proof bowl. Cover with a plate and allow it to sit for 5 minutes until couscous is cooked. Fluff couscous with a fork and stir in 3 cups of sliced roast vegetables. Top with vinaigrette dressing, herbs, chick peas, sesame seeds or nuts.
Roast Vegetable Frittata
Preheat oven to 180°C. Lay 4 cups of roasted vegetables in a greased oven dish. In a separate bowl, whisk 6 eggs with a dash of milk and ½ cup cheese (cheddar, fetta or parmesan). Pour egg mix over vegetables and bake until top is golden and egg is cooked through. Allow to cool at least ten minutes before serving.
Roast Vegetable Salad with Lentils and Fetta
Wash and drain a can of brown lentils. Add to 2 cups of chopped roast vegetables, top with crumbled fetta and parsley.
Roast vegetable soup
Select 3 cups of roast vegetables and ensure at least some roast onion is included. Blend the roast vegetables with 1 cup of chicken stock and ½ cup of milk until smooth. Add more milk if required. Top with a dollop of thick Greek yoghurt or croutons made from stale bread toasted with olive oil.
Warm Balsamic Roast Vegetable Salad
Add in some cherry tomatoes during the last ten minutes of roasting the vegetables. When cooked, slice vegetables and toss in 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle lightly with parmesan or chopped nuts.