Ingredients (Serves 4)
- Oil for cooking
- 200 g lean mince
- 1 cup of canned lentils
- 1 large onion
- ½ cup of grated vegetables (carrot, zucchini)
- ½ cup of mushrooms chopped
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (salt reduced)
- 1x 500g tomato sauce (or 2 extra tins of canned tomatoes)
- 1-2 teaspoons of dried or ¼ cup of fresh herbs
- 500g of dried pasta (any shape)
- Brown onion and mince in a fry pan with oil.
- Add sauce, lentils and vegetables and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil pasta. Once boiled, add in pasta, stir and cook until soft.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve.
Bolognaise Three Ways:
- Spaghetti Bolognese (above recipe)
- Chilli con carne - add red kidney beans instead of lentils and chilli to taste and serve with rice.
- Baked potato – add either of the above mixtures to a jacket potato and top spinach leaves – natural yoghurt or low fast cheese is an optional topping)