Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
- 4 eggs
- 1 litre milk
- 4-6 slices bread- can be any variety including wholemeal, fruit loaf, multigrain. Stale bread is best.
- ½ cup sugar
- Dash of vanilla extract or essence
- 1/3 cup sultanas or fresh chopped fruit (e.g. strawberries)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. In a medium bowl mix milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla until combined.
- Slice bread into quarters and lay in a 1.5 litre baking dish. Sprinkle with sultanas.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread and allow sitting for a few minutes to absorb the egg mixture.
- Bake for approximately 60 mins or until cooked through. The pudding is best if allowed to cool for at least an hour before eating.
- Powdered milk can be used in this recipe. Make it up in boiling water to speed the cooking time.
- This pudding keeps well in the fridge, but can also be made smaller by halving ingredients above.