- 2 cups of wholemeal cous cous
- 1 can chick peas, drained
- At least 3 cups of salad vegetables of your choice (can include capsicum, cucumber, or a bag of baby spinach, snow peas, blanched cauliflower or blanched broccoli)
- Mint leaves or parsley– optional
Dressing Option A
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil, 2 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice, 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Dressing Option B
- ½ cup Plain Greek yogurt, 1 clove of garlic (minced), ½ teaspoon cumin, lemon juice to taste
- Cover the couscous with boiling water in a large heat proof bowl. Place a plate on top of the bowl and allow it to sit for 5 minutes until couscous is cooked. Fluff couscous with a fork.
- Rinse chick peas under water and set aside to drain. Then add to cous cous.
- Wash the vegetable and herbs. If using capsicum, cucumber or other herbs slice finely. Mix all vegetables through cous cous mixture.
- Make dressing option A or b or improvise with ingredients you have on hand. Mix through salad and serve.
- A pinch of smoked paprika can add a different flavour to this dish. Leftover roasted vegetables also work well.
- Experiment with adding other spices, toasted nuts or sesame seeds, toasted cumin seeds or a sprinkling of currants.