- 2-3 beetroot, roasted and skinned
- 2 cans brown lentils or 4 cups of cooked brown or black (“Puy”) lentils
- 150g fetta, crumbled
- 1/8 of a red onion finely sliced.
- Splash of balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
- Splash of olive oil
- Mint leaves, parsley or chopped spinach – optional
- Roast beetroot ahead of time. Method to do this: Scrub beetroot under running water to clean, and then prick with a fork on all sides. Microwave for 10-15 mins until begins to soften. Place in hot oven with a small amount of olive oil to roast. When cool, peel off any rough skin and slice in to thin wedges.
- Drain and rinse the lentils.
- Chop onion and any herbs you plan to add. Mix with lentils and a little olive oil and vinegar as a dressing.
- On a large platter or salad bowl, place lentil mix at bottom. Arrange beetroot slices on top and crumble fetta over the salad.
- You can also use canned baby beets in this recipe, taste before adding dressing and adjust your addition of vinegar accordingly.
- Include extra beetroots in your next roast so you have leftover veggies for this salad. Roast pumpkin or sweet potatoes also work well in this salad.