Ingredients (Serves 6-8)
- 1 small pumpkin
- 1 potato – optional
- 1 stock cube
- ½ cup powdered milk
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced – optional
- Olive oil
- Peel and chop the pumpkin, removing seeds.
- In a large soup pot, cook olive oil and onion on low heat until the onion begins to brown. Add garlic, if using.
- Add in pumpkin and any other vegetables and stir. Pour in enough boiling water to just cover the vegetables, place a lid on the pot and boil until all vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix powered milk with enough water to make a smooth paste. Add this to the soup.
- Mash or blend to desired consistency. Check seasonings and adjust to taste.
- Use a can of drained butter beans in place of potato to boost the protein and fibre levels of this soup and make a creamy texture.
- Omit milk and add grated ginger in with the garlic.
- Try adding light coconut milk, lime leaves and Thai curry paste.
- You can use sweet potato in place of pumpkin.