Ingredients (Serves 4)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup pine nuts*
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups basil leaves*, firmly packed
- 60g parmesan cheese*, grated
- Lemon and/or pepper, to season
- Pine nuts can be substituted for cashews or walnuts
- Basil leaves can be substituted with baby spinach leaves
- Parmesan cheese can be substituted with another sharp cheese
- Toast pine nuts in 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan over medium heat for 2-4 minutes.
- In a blender, process the nuts and garlic until well combined.
- Add basil and while processing, add remaining oil.
- Mix in parmesan cheese.
- Season with lemon or pepper if desired.
This delicious pesto can be added to pasta, vegetables, soups or sandwiches.