- 1 cup red dry split red lentils
- 400g can of tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 stock cube, low salt if possible
- 1 onion diced
- Garlic (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan. Add in onion and garlic (if using) and fry on low heat until the onion begins to brown.
- Add in cumin and fry for 30 seconds. Then add in lentils, chopped tomatoes and 1 cup of water and the stock cube.
- Boil the mixture on low heat until the lentils cook and it begins to thicken. You may need to add more water as the mixture cooks.
- Serve warm or cool with crackers, wrap bread and vegetable sticks.
- This recipe freezes well in batches
- Try serving on rice with vegetables for delicious high fibre, healthy and affordable dinner