Ingredients (Serves 6-8)
- 2 cups dry split red lentils
- 800g can of diced tomatoes
- 1 stock cube, low salt if possible
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups water
- Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan. Add in onion and garlic (if using) and fry on low heat until the onion begins to brown.
- Then add in lentils and chopped tomatoes and 4 cups of water and the stock cube.
- Boil the mixture on low heat until the lentils cook and it begins to thicken. You may need to add more water as the mixture cooks.
- You can blend the mixture with a stick blender if you wish, or serve rustic style.
- This recipe freezes well in batches
- A dollop of thick Greek yoghurt makes a nice additive.
- Try adding smoked paprika for a ‘bacon-style’ flavour.
- You can add ½ cup chopped ham in step 2.