Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
- 6 large apples or 8 small apples
- Cinnamon, mixed spice or nutmeg to taste – optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup oats
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 4 tablespoons margarine or butter
- ½ cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup plain flour
- Dash of water
- Wash apples and peel if you wish. Slice apples and steam or microwave them until just tender.
- Lay the apples in a greased baking dish and sprinkle with cinnamon and spices as desired.
- To make crumble mix oats, margarine, coconut, nuts and flour. A small food processor does this job easily but you can use a bowl and mix by hand.
- Add a small dash of water to bring the mixture slightly together.
- Scatter crumble over the apples, bake at 180°C for 40-60 minutes, or until crumble begins to brown.
- You can add ½ cup sultanas if you wish.