Ingredients (Serves 4)
- Oil for frying
- 2 litres of water
- 2 meaty bacon bones
- 1-2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 400g of yellow or green split peas washed
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 black peppercorns
- 3 sprigs thyme (optional)
- Crusty bread to serve
- Add water to a pot and bring to the boil.
- Sautee onion, garlic, carrots and celery in a medium pan with oil.
- Lightly brown bacon bones on the pan for extra flavour.
- Add all ingredients to the boiling water and cook for 1-2 hours or until ham falls off the bone.
- Remove bacon bones, peel meat and add back into the soup.
- Allow to slightly cook then serve.
- If you soak split peas overnight they will cook faster